About Me

My photo
Africa, my home away from home. I have had the joy of coming and staying at Our Own Home orphanage in Jinja, Uganda for the past couple of years. I have had the priviledge of sharing Jesus love with all the children at Our Own Home. My life has been truly blessed with the love and smiles from each child there. God shines through the lives of His children.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Some of what happened on my first trip to Our Own Home in January 2010

     When I first arrived at the airport Holly and Will were there to pick me up with another one of their  friends.  It was such an awesome feeling to feel so welcomed by someone I had only met through emails.  It was also awesome to see Holly pregnant with her first child!  She shined like every expectant mother.  We spent the night in Entebbe, and when I woke the following morning, I had a shower of trickling water!  Welcome to mission land I thought, with a smile on my face.
     When we arrived at Our Own Home, I was greeted with many smiling faces.  I spoke with Holly about one of the boys that was on the OOH homepage.  Holly said that the picture was take a couple of years ago and she could not recall who the boy was.  I turned around and saw that same smile from the picture and pointed at him and said, "That's him!  I'd know that smile anywhere!"  She told me, "That's John.  I have not told him yet, but he has lost his sponsor."  I told her, "No he hasn't.  I will sponsor him."  So John and I got to know each other a bit more while I was there.
     Later that day, Holly went up to my room with me and we went through all the clothes that I had brought from donations of Mt Scott Church and other friends of mine.  It was so thrilling to see the joy on the kids faces when they received their new 'smart clothes'.  These were to be used for going to the clinic and church only.  It was so nice to have brought others along with me in this special way.
     I had also taken some soccer balls that my friends Kerri and Gordy had provided for their sponsored child, Eddie.  The children played with them non-stop.  In fact, I believe both balls had holes in them before I'd left.
     I learned that the older girls had the responsibilities of the younger babies at times throughout their days.  The reason for this was so that they would be learning how to take care of babies when they got older for employment.  They also did cooking and laundry.
     The children had their daily chores, and once the chores were  complete it was time to play.  And play they did.  As I said before, "Non-Stop!"
     Some of the boys chores were washing windows, burning brush, sweeping, and taking care of the goat.  Which they fed quite frequently knowing that this goat would be their Easter dinner!  The boys loved playing soccer, football.
     There is a girls house and a couple of lots down the road is the boys house.  The children played at both houses. 
     I was there for only two weeks, but was blessed for a lifetime with all of these children.  God was shining through each individual life.  When I left, I promised I would be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment