About Me

My photo
Africa, my home away from home. I have had the joy of coming and staying at Our Own Home orphanage in Jinja, Uganda for the past couple of years. I have had the priviledge of sharing Jesus love with all the children at Our Own Home. My life has been truly blessed with the love and smiles from each child there. God shines through the lives of His children.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Some of what happened on my second trip to Our Own Home

    I arrived at OOH after midnight!  The older children had stayed up to welcome me.  When I arrived, they came out to greet me with a big sign that said, "Welcome Back Mommy Soni!" and all the children had signed it.   I gave them a short greeting then sent them all to bed and told them I would see them in the morning.  The girls little bodies scattered up the stairs to their rooms and the boys left for their home.  It was such a warm welcome from all the children and William.
     The following day I got to meet Holly and her new baby, Israel.  What a cutie!  Big beautiful brown eyes!  And a smile like you wouldn't believe.  It was such a blessing to meet the new addition to Holly and Will's family.
     That day also, Holly and I went through all the clothing donations that I had brought and prepared to give them all to the children.  I had also brought a whiffle bat and some balls for the children to play sort of a baseball game.  I also brought playground balls for them to play kickball with.  There was an arrangement made with the older children not to kick the ball as hard as they could because it would go over the fence and they may lose it.  They were all compliant. :)
     I had also brought some stickers which went over real well.  I told the children each could have 5 stickers, and of course many were coming back for more.  The loved sticking the stickers on there hands and foreheads.
     Also, many times I was sung to by as few as one to maybe 15 of the children.  They have such beautiful voices.
     We also had times of coloring, or as they call it, shading.  Many pictures were drawn and many coloring pages were shaded.  The children really enjoyed these activities.
     Of course there was reading time also.  They have a cupboard of books that we could choose from.  My favorites I brought, "The Giving Tree", "I'll Love You Forever", and "Goodnight Moon".  The children seemed  to enjoy them also.
     We had so much fun playing together throughout the day.  Each evening before bedtime the children would take their meds and we would have devotions.  I remember one night the electricity had gone out and we had just had some visitors that I had met on the airplane on my trip over.  They were contractors.  They gave me a headgear with a lamp on it so that I could read and do the devotions.  It was a real cool way of doing devotions.  After devotions were done, I walked the girls to their rooms with the light, then shortly afterwards the lights came back on.  What a wonderful way God works things out for His good.
     During this visit I also got to spend more time with my sponsored boy, John.  We went on walks together and had many talks.  It was such a bonding time with him.
     Lydia was quite sick while I was there.  She ended up having to have an IV put in her foot for rehydration.  She was still very sick when I had left, but today she is doing really well.  She is learning how to become and seamstress and is sewing little purses to make money for her future.  I am so proud of her.  As I am of all the children in so many ways.
     Again, my trip was only two weeks, but my life was touched in so many ways by all of these children.  Holly and William are doing such a marvelous job with the children that God has given them.
     When I left, the children were watching a video.  I said goodbye and again promised to be back.  What a blessing to have shared in the lives of all these children. 
     The journey continues in December 2011 at Christmas.  Praise God I get to celebrate His birthday with all these precious lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment